The 45th Nationale-Nederlanden Warsaw Marathon is the Abbott World Marathon Majors Wanda Age Group World Championships qualifying event.
“The Warsaw Marathon Foundation” and the Abbott World Marathon Majors are teaming up for the Age Group World Ranking Series.
The 45th Nationale-Nederlanden Warsaw Marathon has become an official qualifying stage for the Abbott World Marathon Majors Wanda Age Group World Championships for runners aged 40+.
HOW IT WORKS?
The AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Rankings comprise over 350 qualifying races in which athletes in nine separate age groups can compete in marathons across the world to earn a global ranking.
In a new format for 2023, athletes will be ranked according to their single fastest time in a qualifying event. Any athlete achieving the Automatic Qualifying Time for their age group will receive an immediate invitation for the 2024 AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championships. Runners who do not achieve the Automatic Qualifying Time still have the opportunity to receive an invitation to enter the World Championship depending on the full field size and the number of athletes achieving the qualifying time.
In order to receive an invitation, runners must be registered at AbbottWMM.com. The date, location and field size for the 2024 AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championships will be announced in the coming weeks.
2023 Qualifying times
As an FYI, qualifiers from the fourth edition of the rankings, which closed in December 2022, will compete in the 2023 championship, set to take place within the 2023 Bank of America Chicago Marathon on October 8. The invite process for this event is now in operation.
The rankings cover age groups from 40 to 80+ for men and women as follows:
– How can I qualify for the 2024 championships?
There are three ways to qualify for the championships. Full details here: www.Abbottwmm.com
1. Achieve the Automatic Qualifying Time for your age group (see above).
2. Other highly ranked athletes without an Automatic Qualifying Time may also receive an invitation (depending on the full field size and the number of athletes achieving the qualifying time).
3. The bi-annual AbbottWMM Global Marathon, held within the Global Run Club, has 200 places available for the fastest verified finishers. Visit the Global Run Club for full details.
– Where and when are the 2024 Age Group World Championships?
The date, field size and location will be announced in due course.
– What time do I have to run to qualify?
Your Automatic Qualifying Time is based on your age on race day of the qualifying event which you are taking part in. See above for the full list of Automatic Qualifying Times.
– What happens if I change age group during the qualifying season?
You will only change age group if you have a time in one age group and then complete a race in your new age group. In this case, you will automatically move into the new age group and the time achieved in your new age group will be the time used for your ranking position. Note: we can restore your original age group’s result on request to firstname.lastname@example.org
– What if I change age group after I have earned qualification?
Your age on World Championship race day will determine the age group you compete in.
– What are the Automatic Qualifying Times?
Please see the table further up this page.
– How can I get an invite if I don’t run the Automatic Qualifying Time?
Athletes in the rankings who have not achieved automatic time qualification may receive an invitation based on the number of athletes who meet the Automatic Qualifying Times and do not take up their place. The number of athletes who receive invitations through this pathway
will be determined during the rankings season.
– Why are there no ranking points anymore?
We have changed the system to be based on time in order to reward the fastest athletes with automatic championship qualification.
Is there a category in the rankings for non-binary athletes? Currently there are not enough races which have non-binary categories with sufficient numbers to create meaningful competition and accordingly the AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Rankings and Championships are unable to offer a non-binary option for qualification. This will be kept under annual review.